St John's Newfoundland Buses information, listings and links
If you are travelling as a group, or if you are traveling alone, taking the bus makes a lot of sense. St John's has several bus-friendly transportation options for the traveller.
There's a very good bus service that travels from Port aux Basques to St. John's (and St. John's to Port aux Basques) each day. Total cost for an adult is about $100 each way. The bus service is operated by DRL Coachlines (709-263-2163) and it connects with the gulf ferry service that joins Port aux Basques, Newfoundland and North Sydney, Nova Scotia. Tickets are bought on the bus. In Port aux Basques the bus leaves the ferry terminal at 8:00 AM. In St. John's the bus leaves the airport (7:30 AM), the Arts building at Memorial University (7:45 AM) and the Irving service station at Donovans (8:00 AM). The bus stops at many communities across Newfoundland and it arrives at its final stop of the day at about 9:30 PM. The total distance covered is approximately 900 kms (550 miles).
There is also a bus that connects St John's with the Argentia Ferry, and timed with its arrivals and departures. This bus service is run by Newhook's Transportation (709-426-4876). Because this ferry is seasonal from mid-June until Labor Day, so is the bus service.
Other scheduled bus services around the island include:
- Bailey's Bus Service (Corner Brook to Baie Verte): 709-532-4642
- Eddy's Bus Service (Stephenville to Corner Brook): 709-643-2134 / 634-7777
- Gateway Bus Service (Port aux Basque to Corner Brook): 709-695-3332
- Martin's Bus Service (Corner Brook to Woody Point & Trout River): 709-634-4710
- Pittman's Bus Service (Corner Brook to Deer Lake & Rocky Harbour): 709-634-4710 / 458-2084
- NorPen Bus Service (Corner Brook to Roddicton & Englee): 709-866-2281
- Stew's Bus Line (Corner Brook to Burgeo): 709-886-2955 / 634-7777
- Viking Express (Corner Brook to St. Anthony): 709-634-4710 / 688-2112 / 454-3939
Once you get off the Island onto the Nova Scotia mainland, at North Sydney, you can connect to other points in the Maritimes and the rest of North America by SMT Acadian Bus Lines (1-800-567-5151),which will transfer you to Greyhound (for USA destinations) and Voyageur (for Ontario & Quebec).